Yet another Monday is upon us, so it’s time for your weekly motivation and push toward a healthy and productive week. If you need a few suggestions for some Monday morning exercises, check out this link. Hopefully you will start moving early on this Monday and keep on moving all through the week. Are you tracking your workouts?
In my first blog, when Coach Rob chose me to be featured in one of his Transformation Tuesday blogs, I talked about running the Two Cities Marathon in 2016. When I look back, the marathon was a big goal, but like I said, I finished and I didn’t die — 2 huge wins for me. In March of 2017, I started private training sessions with Rob and weighed 185 pounds. Throughout the year, I pushed myself and allowed Rob to push me to limits I never imagined I would ever reach. In November, I again ran the Two Cities Marathon and improved my mile time by 1 minute and 47 seconds, which cut my time by over 28 minutes. Now that’s a BAM worthy WIN by my standards!
Although I have made major strides, achieved some big goals, and am still on track, it isn’t always easy to stay the course. OMG was it a challenge during the holidays to watch what I ate! I still had some sweets but I really tried to limit myself and keep up my training. I think I did pretty well with all the temptations that were thrown at me. Now with the marathon finished and all of the holiday calories put away until next year, it is time for me to work on my 2018 goals.
Today, 10 months from when I started individual sessions, I am down 52 pounds. My short term goal is to reach 128 pounds by March of this year and then, like most people, the next HUGE challenge will be to maintain that weight. My plan is to use BAM Logic!!! I have my goal / plan, which is to remain consistent, stick with 5 days of bootcamp during the week, and my weekend runs. Every other weekend I give my self a rest day. The trick, as Coach Rob says, is the The MILLION Dollar Word, MOTIVATION. Staying motivated shouldn’t be too difficult, I will just pull out my before and after pictures — and there is always that motivation to shave just a little more off that marathon time.
Success is something different to everyone, but for me, this year, it means I’m stronger than I was in 2016. Both my physical and emotional endurance have grown and I am proud of all I have accomplished.
- I reached my goal size – BAM!!
- I RAN, yes RAN 5 miles! Double BAM!!!
- I built noticeable muscle tone. Yes!
- I greatly increased my strength and endurance! Bam – Bam!
- AND, I cut off my hair! BAH-BAM!
Coach Rob and I have talked a lot about my goals for 2018 and I am pumped to attack the new challenges! I don’t make New Year’s Resolutions, but I do set goals. This year, I want to help other people like Rob has helped me. I am constantly asked about my journey, so I want to start a blog of my own. As for working out, I want to tone more and become stronger by adding more weight to my workouts, incorporate more running, and build my endurance so I am able to run 10 miles by the end of 2018! BAM Logic works!!!
As I have shared a few times, I truly enjoy this time of year. I spend a large part of my days reflecting on my achievements, the achievements of my clients, and my failures. Yes, I reflect on my failures. With this week being the last of 2017, where have you invested hard work and how did it pay off? Where would you like to invest your hard work in during 2018? Share your successes of 2017 with me! BAM!!!
2017 was a year of changes and REALLY pushing myself out of my comfort zone. I am a creature of habit and planning. I like to be on time. I like to follow a plan. I don’t like change, but like I said, this year, life required me to push myself to develop and accept new norms.
After a few months of slacking off of my independent workouts due to personal and professional obligations, eating out while on the road with work, and allowing myself a few cocktails while on the social scene, I realized I had taken 30 huge steps back. I gained 30 pounds. In just a few short months, I had undone at least 6 months of hard work and dedication.
This summer, I went in for one of my normal sessions with Rob and we had what some people might call a “come to Jesus” conversation. I needed someone who is calm and could talk me out of my negative dialogue from letting myself go backward. Rob spent all of our time that day being a true coach. We talked about getting back to basics, because that seems to be the easiest way to make it work. Follow and be consistent with the basics building blocks of a solid regimen. We agreed that I needed to get back to consistent eating, portion control, my regular, and workout schedule. Rob also suggested that I look into supplements and consult with my doctor to get current blood work done, especially since I have been struggling with my vertigo again.
Now, at the end of 2017 I have made a lot of forward progress. I have a lot to show after 22 months on this journey, 160 workouts with Rob, an additional 400 workouts on my own, 2 fit bits, 2 magic bullet blenders, 3 different types of protein shakes, countless hours of food prepping, and about 12 appointments with doctors. I am down to 280 pounds from 335 and have lost 8 inches in my pant size. It is a daily struggle to balance my work travel schedule, social life, working out, and food prepping, but it is far easier to STAY on TRACK than to get back on track! Thanks for your support Rob! BAM!!!
With the New Year fast approaching, I’m focused on next year’s goals, plans, and projects. I get pretty excited during this time of year because I do a lot of reflection and planning. It’s one thing to plan and make goals, but it’s quite different when you’re taking action toward your goals and moving the needle.
In this blog, I want to share Five Steps that can help you accomplish your goals and get ahead in 2018!
- Consciousness: You need to become very clear about what you truly desire and what result you are working to achieve. You need to know precisely how you want to build your life, business, fitness regime, or whatever “thing” you are working toward. Being present and aware of yourself will give you the opportunity to be honest about your current circumstances versus the ideal circumstances for your own success. When you are able to sit back and take stock in yourself, you will be able to see your strengths, weaknesses, and areas where you need to grow.
- Competence: You need to research, study your “craft,” and become an expert at what you do. Simply stated, this is continuous learning and development. Be intentional about what you are reading. For example, if one of your areas of growth is communication, you should spend time reading and learning about how to become a better communicator. Find was to continue to learn about your goals and grow your personal and professional skill set.
- Commitment: If you have a huge goal in mind, or you are raining your own personal bar to a whole new level, you must also raise your commitment level. This “project” is going to demand a much higher level of commitment, focus, and intention. In order to raise your commitment level, you may need to learn to say, “No.” This doesn’t mean I’m suggesting you turn you back to Service, Giving, and Volunteering, it means, be more thoughtful to what you say “Yes.” Always saying “Yes” can often leave you depleted, stressed, and worn out, with little energy left to work on your own big goals. By focusing, becoming aware of your own growth needs, and more discerning with your time and energy, you can perform better for all of your key commitments.
- Coaching: I can say so much about coaching because it is my life’s work. but I will keep this brief. Coaching allows you to get immediate Feedback as you are taking action toward your goals. Feedback is so important and a key part in development. The feedback you receive from your Coach is designed to keep you on the right track while minimizing pitfalls and hiccups. You can get hip, feedback, and advice from just about anywhere, just ask! If there is someone that you know who is excelling in an area that you wish to, simply ask that person if you could meet for a conversation, get mentoring, or help you set a plan in motion. Get feedback, then make strategic decisions!
- Congruence: This is about how your thoughts, actions, and intentions need to align and work together to achieve you final goal. This is about operating as your authentic self. Congruence is when you’re fully engaged and energetic in your day to day life. This could also be seen as a Flow State, where everything just seems to be clicking. When you choose to be You and then pursue the things in life that add value to the world, things began to flow. Be Yourself and build a life around that!
These “Five Steps” all lead to Personal Growth. When someone decides to take action on their personal development it will have a positive impact on everything around them!
I have featured some incredible client transformations, but none of the warriors’ transformations would have been possible if they did not focus on making healthier food choices. Exercise alone will not result in long-lasting, or consistent weight loss results. As I shared in Mini Treats Can Have a Major Impact!, the holiday splurges really add up and can derail your progress before you know it!
If you take the time to research “Healthier Holiday Food Makeovers,” you will find over 400,000 pages and each page contains multiple recipes. “Cooking Light” magazine offers a great alternative to the traditional pumpkin pie and a lower-calorie. dairy-free mashed potato recipe for your Thanksgiving table. If your holidays have more of a down home Southern flair, the FOOD NETWORK has a great selection of “Healthy Comfort Food Makeovers,” including Mac & Cheese! YES!!! I said HEALTHIER Mac & Cheese! BAM!!! One of my favorite articles is Eating Well’s “How to Cut Calories at Thanksgiving Dinner!” This article offers total makeovers of all of your holiday favorites, Turkey, stuffing, and even SWEET POTATO CASSEROLE!!! The key is staying on track without feeling deprived! Dive into these articles and when you try they #CoachRobJCooks!!!